Thursday 11 June 2015

The medical student not limited by medicine

I went through Forbes list sometimes and I can't remember seeing a medical doctor or practitioner at least in the top 100 and then I don't know any medical doctor who has created 5000 jobs by being an entrepreneur. Am a curious person who likes to project into the future and sincerely as successful as many of my lecturers are I honestly think something is missing.
I remember sitting in Medical Psychology class and my lecturer making it clear to me that being a doctor might not make you rich but will make you comfortable. I find this depressing that doctors and health care practitioners are to busy to the extent that they generally have no entrepreneural goal. This is so serious that we have few medical practioners who are political giants whose political views are widely revered by the country.
Yes too much work takes our time even from studentship but I believe that our intelligence cannot only save lives but save other aspects of the country! We should not dream of internship, residency and consultancy salaries but hope that it could be a capital to start something! It's high time we start giving useful political advices and taking up political positions to change things! You don't have to wait till you are named Minister of Health or the Surgeon general of the fedration if this postion gets created eventually.
We can help the government by creating Jobs through various investments no matter how small we start,  we should not dream of comfortability when there could be satisfaction.
Nigerian medics it's time.
Written for COMPSSA   magazine by Idowu Joshua Tolulope
300 Level dental student CMUL, UNILAG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would appreciate your comments, suggestions and advice